Meetinghouse COVID-19 guidelines
approved 5/1/2022, updated 05/21/2023
The Swannanoa Valley Friends Meeting acknowledges that the federal COVID emergency is over, and are joyful at the increased opportunities to gather face to face. We also know that COVID is still a significant risk for some friends, and we continue to observe the following CDC guidelines in our meeting house to reduce risk of transmission to those who are at higher risk:
- Anyone exposed to COVID but asymptomatic should follow CDC guidance on precautions regarding in-person events: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/your-health/if-you-were-exposed.html
- Anyone testing positive for COVID or exposed and experiencing symptoms should complete CDC guidelines for isolation before returning to meeting house: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/your-health/isolation.html
- SVFM highly recommends up-to-date vaccination, which greatly reduces severe illness and death from COVID.
- SVFM will increase ventilation at the meeting house as much as possible by meeting outside when possible, and when meeting inside, opening the sliding glass doors, or using the air purifiers. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/ventilation.html
- SVFM will provide masks at the meetinghouse for any who wish to wear them.
Suspension of Gatherings at Swannanoa Valley Friends Meetinghouse
Our meetinghouse is currently not available for gatherings until further notice, per public health concerns.
The pre-COVID content of this page is below
Sharing our facility and grounds is, for us, a ministry to our community. Our discernment in those decisions focuses on individuals and groups whose activities and intentions are compatible with those of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers), such as celebrations, memorials, weddings, meetings, workshops, dances, and concerts.
We are a spiritual community and not a commercial conference center, and thus are without a paid staff. Volunteers will do our best to ensure that your use of the facility goes smoothly; we ask for your patience and flexibility as we try to balance the needs of our Meeting members/attenders and our guest meetinghouse users.
First priority goes to SVFM members and attenders who wish to use the meetinghouse for a private event: you are invited to contact the meetinghouse use manager.
For everyone else, if you or your group would like to use our meetinghouse, we invite you to:
- Read the SVFM User Agreement Nov. 2018 to see if the Meetinghouse would suit your needs
- Check our calendar to see if the date you wish is available,
- Then email us to make arrangements for your activity.
Suggested Donations: We ask guest users to consider that costs are incurred for utilities and maintenance that support your event(s). For individuals and small businesses we suggest, and gratefully welcome, a donation of $50 per unit of time--one unit being a morning, afternoon or evening.